Re: Live CD as a focal point for reviving Jr development

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 15:34 -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> I had forgotten that it was IceWM-based.  That's one thing that the OSEF
> CD would have over my proposed Ubuntu experiment, which drags in a lot
> of GNOME stuff that certainly makes life easier for a "typical" desktop
> user (e.g. being able to plug in your camera or pop in a CD and have
> them appear as icons on the desktop,) but just adds bloat without much
> added value for child users.  So long as the desktop has buttons to
> press that start the children's favourite applications, that's as much
> WM as we really need for the younger kids.

Actually, a lot has changed since the original discussion to use IceWM
(I was actually the original one to propose IceWM in an IRC meeting long
ago). Gnome's ability to just handle things like USB drives and cameras
does actually make it very attractive now.

> > Don't know either...  OSEF has been sleeping as well.
>
> Do you at least have a current email address for at least each of the
> board members?  I'd love to pick up where we left off.

As soon as my server comes back from the dead (bad RAM found yesterday)
I can set up a new mailing list. Just let me know who to add and I can
do so.

--
.O.                                         Sam Hart, sam@progeny.com