Re: [Slightly OT] Philosophy (was Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?)

* On 03-10-21, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Why expose children to computers at such a young age?  Shouldn't
> they be running and jumping, playing with toys, coloring, cutting,
> riding bike/scooter, etc, instead?

Ooo, dear, there's a can of worms ;-)

I would like to say this on the subject, and then will try never to rant
again:

I got my first computer experience when I was 4 years old (PDP-11, no
screen, teletype, and FORTRAN... I wrote a program that counted whee!)
Later, I got my first computer when I was approx. 5-6 (Atari 400, 16K and
membrane keyboard).

I really attribute my knowledge and aptitute today to that early computer
experience. I had taught myself basic C by the time I was 8, and had
already exposed myself to what I would later discover to be Algebra
because of it. I think that computer experience very young is an
/exceptionally/ good thing.

For one, it helps the child not to be afraid of technology (which is a
HUGE boon).

For another, depending upon /what/ the child has experience with, it can
really help out with logic and problem solving. Heck, it can even help
teach creativity.

I would also like to point out that some of the most bright persons I
currently know in the computer field are people who had such early
experience with computers (Bill Kendrick anyone? The guys a coding
machine... ;-)

Granted, it's not going to be for everyone... but certainly it can really
be a great thing to at least experience.

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>