Re: Future replacement for Abiword: Tux Writer?

> As you can see by our website, we certainly do
> target children earlier than
> 6 years old.  Tux Paint and GCompris are two great
> examples of software
> usable by this age range.

I'm familiar with it; I was concerned with another
mail that placed the target range to the 6-12 range.

> I have picked up bits and pieces here and there
> along the way.  Not much by
> way of formal education, if that's what you mean,
> though.  But I am keenly interested in the topic.

Excellent. :) Hopefully anyone involved in Debian Jr
development will be interested in it to some degree.
Should it ever become an issue, it was my field of
study at uni.

> You are not the only one.  Bill Kendrick (of Tux
> Paint fame) has already
> started planning Tux Writer.  Please see:
>
> http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxwriter/
>
> This is still on the drawing board, however, and
> therefore there is nothing
> yet to download.  Unless the website is out of date,
> it is still in the
> requirements phase.  There is apparently a list for
> it, also listed on the
> site, but no archives (yet).  Perhaps Bill could use
> some input from us?

Do you, Ben and Bill, think it would be most
productive to focus work on helping Bill with Tux
Writer so that it could be used as the text editor
we've been searching for?