Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 ray@nabuli.de wrote:

> May I jump in here, please?  I just wonder why emacs (or vim) would
> not be kids software?  Oh, don't get me wrong here, I am not to argue
> ... this is a real question for me, since our son has entered school
> this year and I think within the next year he will have learned
> writing ... and he may want do some writings on the PC.  Why would
> let's say AbiWord be better than using emacs, AucTeX and friends?  Or
> OpenOffice?
It's a question of teaching.  If you can sparse some time to sit next
your son it is no problem to teach Emacs/AucTeX/LaTeX.  I did so and
my son wrote a couple of larger homeworks in the 5th and 6th form with
LaTeX containing images, lists, list of authors.  I provided him with a
special style which gets him rid of most beginner-confusing stuff.

Kind regards

          Andreas.