Working group within Debian Jr with education focus

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:52:09AM +0100, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> > like to draw the attached posting to your attention, as it is very relevant
> > to those in this group who would like to use Debian Jr. in education.
> I really like the idea of Debian Jr. in education.  We have not enough
> resources to split up to a further Debian project (see the low trafic
> on this list and not many hands full of really active developers in this
> project - including me, because I wished I could do some more).  A new
> Debian-Edu project would perhaps even suck developers from Debian Jr. and
> I do not think that education is so far from Debian Jr. aims.

Could we make it a working group inside of Debian Jr. then?  And I would
still like to see some leadership other than me for this.  Basically
what I want but am not willing to do myself is for someone to step
forward to do these jobs:

- come up with a page for education that we could put on the Debian Jr.
  web site which would explain Debian Jr's use (or possible uses) in
  education and how Debian Jr. hopes to contribute to the promotion of
  free software in education in the community at large

- review Debian package offerings to see what is suitable for education.
  break down those packages into categories that make sense, e.g.
  packages which are teacher's tools, administrative tools, student
  applications, etc.

- find new packages either in the WNPP or other sources to expand those
  initial offerings

- facilitate education-focused discussions on the debian-jr list

- come up with any other tasks that are necessary to help get this
  going, delegating these and/or any of the above as needed

> > So far, my post has drawn a grand total of zero comments. :(  But I know
> > people in Debian care about using Linux in education.  Let's get involved!

> So Ben just speak for me as if I were you in upcoming discussions.  I
> liked you engagement in Debian Jr. very much and never had any contrasting
> opinions in important things.  I accept you as the leader and most
> important person for the Debian Jr. project and as for myself you can
> speak for the project on any other forum.

I will carry the ball at this point in the Schoolforge discussions, as I
am already there and familiar with these guys, but I really do need
someone else to get involved if promoting Debian as an education OS is
going to succeed.

Ben