[synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca: Promoting free software in education]

Hi,

I know not everyone here is on debian-project@lists.debian.org.  I would
like to draw the attached posting to your attention, as it is very relevant
to those in this group who would like to use Debian Jr. in education.

Please join the discussion if you would like to see something come of this.
So far, my post has drawn a grand total of zero comments. :(  But I know
people in Debian care about using Linux in education.  Let's get involved!

Thanks,
Ben
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I have been speaking with Doug Loss and Roger Dingeldine of SEUL/edu
(see www.seul.org/edu) about a coalition they are forming, the purpose
of which will be to promote free software and free content in education.

I feel Debian and this coalition, which to date is being called
the Schoolforge[0] coalition, would benefit from Debian's membership
in it.  Please see two messages by Doug Loss on what the coalition is
and what membership in it would mean:

http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Dec-2001/msg00101.html
http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Dec-2001/msg00106.html

Basically, I'd like to know the steps I'd have to go through to get
Debian involved.

Because of my work with Debian Jr. I am volunteering to, at least for
the interim, represent Debian in this group.  However, I would really
prefer if someone with the needs of education closer to their heart
would take this position.

In the not too distant past, I had suggested to the Debian-jr list
that a Debian-edu workgroup should be created, and while people were
favourably inclined to the idea, so far, no developer has stepped up to
head up such a group.  Thus, the task falls to Debian Jr. group even
though it is not a perfect fit.

Ben
[0] Schoolforge has no relationship to Sourceforge.