Re: Review of WNPP for things to package/being packaged

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> I decided I'd defer that decision until after this guy was done.  He
> says he has made a very close clone of the original.  This will interest
> those of us who are nostalgic for the original, but perhaps not the kids
> so much.  Anyway, my choices were made without looking at the programs
> themselves, so I really can't tell which is best just from that.
Well, nostalgy is a good reason and I would really like that!  So let's
have perhaps three Tetris clones:

    1) The nostalgic one :)
    2) The most feature rich / best configurable / super duper / heavy
       maintained one.
       a) for plain X    \
       b) for KDE        -  might be reasonable to split here
       c) for Gnome      /
    3) a clone for console

I think this would be enough.  All other upstream authors should be asked
if they perhaps like to step into the development of 2) (or 1) ;-) ).

> I have no objection to having multiple tetris-like programs in Debian,
> though.  Diversity is good.  But yes, for Debian Jr. we will want to
> narrow down the choices to one or two which rise above the rest.
I also like diversity if it makes sense.  For sure 2) does not exist
and wie need some more.  But diversity just for the sake of diversity
does not make any sense and we should drop the not so good ones in my
opinion.  They waste time of developers and confuse users.

> Again, alternatives.  The Debian Jr. package shouldn't enforce one
> choice over another.  It is a starting point.  If people don't like
> galeon (probably because of its gnome dependencies) and don't like
> skipstone, then they may like light.
Yes.  Agreed here.  I condider it as a fair reason if the browser
does not depend from Gnome.  But the description should clearly mention
the difference.  I really do not want to enforce users to try all
possible alternatives.  It is our job to guide users through our
distribution.  The description should clearly give reasons to decide.

> > > #108284 tempest: a program that uses your computer monitor to send out
> > >         AM radio signals, 119 days in preparation.
> > Huh, why should my son do such things???
>
> Where's your sense of adventure!  When I was a child and my Dad had a
> TRS-80 Model I, I used a similar program to make funny sounds on my AM
> radio.  I think it enriched my sense of wonder at what computers could
> do.  Imagine young geekling with her friends over.  "Hey, look at this!"
> "Oh cool!  How do you *do* that?" etc.  Come on, now.  Debian Jr.
> *needs* this program. :)
Funny.  Fully agreed!  We need that - and a clear description.  Perhaps
your explanation is worth including in the package description.
Would you file it to the BTS (wnpp)?

> > I might add that I did not stopped my ClanLib based car racing
> > games initiative (Trophy, Race).  Volunteers to step in are welcome
> > of course.
>
> Where are they in the WNPP?  Do you have ITPs out on them so we can
> at least see that it is in progress?
I did not ITPed yet because they are not in a reasonable state.  I'm not
sure if I should ITP or RFP - so I'm waiting just a little bit.

> If others have work that they are doing for Debian Jr. but is not in the
> WNPP, please visit http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp today and read about
> how to file an ITP.
The official ClanLib maintainer stepped in and took over my ClanLib work.
He is now preparing the coming official packages.  If they are ready and
the car racing games come to a usable state the WNPP bugs will appear ...

Kind regards

         Andreas.