Re: XFCE For Debian JR

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 10:17:02AM +0000, John Gay wrote:
> I am working on a very integrated network environment for my daughters
> school.  Among the things I am implementing are a large number of
> X-Terminals running of workstations in the classrooms, that, in turn,
> will get most of there apps from a server in the school office.

Widespread deployment of X-Terminals in a school environment has a
number of issues that placing a few PC's in the home does not.  However,
there is some overlap ...

> I think this could be of interest to people who want to give their
> family more access to computers without spending loads of money on
> equipment or fighting for a turn at the family PC. My daughters
> original PC was an old PC running as an X-Terminal from my computer
> before she got her cousins hardware after she upgraded.

That will certainly be an elment of establishing the Debian Jr. base
system.  The "ultra-light" system I described earlier is suitable as an X
terminal with some limited capabilities for running things directly on the
system itself.  Our documentation should cover how to configure the
desktop to launch things from a parent's box.

> The advantage of this is, with hardware that is currently selling for
> less than £50. and won't run Windows98 and a little network gear,
> others in the family can have identical access to the family PC
> simultaneously Lets see M$ do that!  Hopefully, I'll be able to
> provide the details of how to set this up for others benefit.

Sure.

> Along these lines, I was wondering how difficult it would be to have an
> automatic X-Terminal installation for Debian. At the moment I just
> install the base system, then install the X packages, remove xdm
> afterwards and just use X -query XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX to start the
> X-Terminal. It seems that Debian would be the perfect distro for
> having a one-line X-Terminal installation If I know more about how the
> Debian packaging system worked, I could do it myself. But I can just
> barely use apt-get and prefer gnome-apt because it lets me browse the
> package list and select what I want.

Well, that's not exactly the sort of thing I have set up on my
"ultra-light" systems.  Cheap X terminals have applications everywhere, so
perhaps you could see what the "X Strike Force" (The Debian X support
team) has to say about this idea.  For all I know they have already done
something like this.  Have a look (it is linked from
http://www.debian.org/devel) and check the archives of the debian-x
list to see if it has already been discussed.  I can't imagine it is a new
idea.  Debian Jr. could make use of any such work by referencing whatever
material this team produces.

> Just my 1.575128 Euro's worth.

:)

Ben
p.s. Please set the wrap width in your mail client to something smaller
     than 80 (I forget the standard ... 76?) as it is hard to read on
     some mailers and tedious to re-wrap when replying where automatic
     rewrapping while keeping the "quote" characters at the front of
     the line is not available.