Re: Window managers (was: XFCE for Debian JR)

> high up on my list of priorities.  I'm aiming for "usability", which in my
> opinion, KDE & Gnome doesn't significantly contribute to (or at least not
> to the point where I'd personally be willing to invest the effort to
> include them).  Of course, this doesn't mean I'm against listing
> individual Gnome or KDE based programs where there are no non-KDE/Gnome
> alternatives (see ktuberling, for example) as those can be put on a system
> without loading the entire desktop environment onto it to make it work
> (just the libraries are required).

In term of usability I don't agree with you.
Let me explain, if we considere the list of package listed in Debian-jr,
the usability among these packages is a nightmare. Just consider, the
save-a-file operation. If you go from Xpaint to Gimp to freeciv to
mozilla	to Emacs then Lyx the kids will have to learn 6 different
paradigm to save a file. Nothing to blame on Debian-jr but this is these
kind of usability problems that Gnome/KDE project try to solve by providing
good consistency interface.
I have used GNU/Linux environment with young student for several years,
and these usability problems make them feel GNU/Linux is not an easy
to use system.
(Here some ideas on http://cran.seul.org/~hilaire/korea/ofset/)

Now it's understandable you don't want to spend time on packaging
that software but I guess that most of them are already packaged.

Hilaire

--
OFSET - Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching
http://www.ofset.org