Re: XFCE For Debian JR

Thanx for your experienced comments! I didn't do much with XFCE when I first
tried it, because I couldn't find the Debian menu's. I'm sure I tried all mouse
buttons, but then I installed from .debs from XFCE's site, not from Debian so
that might have made a difference.

Knowing it works in 8M of RAM gives it even more push for low-spec'd systems! I
would not list XFCE in the KDE-Gnome battle BECAUSE KDE and Gnome are two
versions of the same thing and XFCE is something completely different. I've done
quite a bit of work with CDE on HP systems, so I'm familiar with the mind-set of
XFCE I just haven't spent enough time with it. But I do know that I prefer the
simpler pop-up toolbar to most Window managers I have seen and personally feel
this would make a simpler interface for the computer-phobic.

The problem I've got now is, I upgraded to KDE2 accidentally with an
dist-upgrade and XFCE is no longer in the kdm selection. I'll need to get that
working again so I can spend more time exploring XFCE.

To quote John Cleese, "And now for something completely different"

I am working on a very integrated network environment for my daughters school.
Among the things I am implementing are a large number of X-Terminals running of
workstations in the classrooms, that, in turn, will get most of there apps from
a server in the school office. I think this could be of interest to people who
want to give their family more access to computers without spending loads of
money on equipment or fighting for a turn at the family PC. My daughters
original PC was an old PC running as an X-Terminal from my computer before she
got her cousins hardware after she upgraded.

The advantage of this is, with hardware that is currently selling for less than
£50. and won't run Windows98 and a little network gear, others in the family can
have identical access to the family PC simultaneously Lets see M$ do that!
Hopefully, I'll be able to provide the details of how to set this up for others
benefit.

Along these lines, I was wondering how difficult it would be to have an
automatic X-Terminal installation for Debian. At the moment I just install the
base system, then install the X packages, remove xdm afterwards and just use X
-query XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX to start the X-Terminal. It seems that Debian would be
the perfect distro for having a one-line X-Terminal installation If I know more
about how the Debian packaging system worked, I could do it myself. But I can
just barely use apt-get and prefer gnome-apt because it lets me browse the
package list and select what I want.

Just my 1.575128 Euro's worth.

Cheers,

     John Gay