Re: A teen's point of view

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Annie Pinder wrote:

> Jimmy O'Regan <jimregan@lit.compsoc.com> said:
>
> > Being not long out of my teens, myself, I can say that the things teens
> > want are the same as non-technical adults - office-type software (for
> > school projects etc), e-mail and games/emulators.
> > Plus, most teens I know would avoid things aimed at "teens".
> >

> I am a teenager, and I don't enjoy using "office type applications". My
> enjoyment comes from learning new things (because I'm a geek!) and playing
> games. Perhaps distrabuting games such as quake (although this is nearly
> impossible) and other games similar would make debian enjoyable. I think that
> trying to integrate things such as "Debian 2.2 Tour" (like the windows 98
> tour) is a waste of time, it will make us seems patronising to the users.
Well, I didn't mean ``enjoy'' I meant ``need'' office programs, I did mention
games, and when I said ``would avoid things aimed at "teens"'' I meant
would find them patronising. So basically, you're confirming what I said.
Mainly though, I was referring to teens without technical leanings, and in
hindsight I should have phrased it that way. Please accept my most humble
apology.

> And finally, I do feel you are underestimating teenagers abilities, we are not
> all that stupid. I have seen friends of mine learn computer related things
> faster than a lot of adults could, even though the adults may have more
> expieriance.

Well, I think my reply to this is mostly covered by the above
clarification of what I had meant to say. I don't doubt your friends'
abilities, it's fairly well documented that the learning process slows
with age.
As for teens being stupid, I can honestly say I've done more stupid things
in my first few years as an adult than I ever did as a teen, and not all
alcohol related either.
> Kids' natuaral curiousity will often persevere at younger ages more than in
> the teens. I learnt BASIC at 12; admittedly not the best start, but at least I
> got to vent my interest.
BASIC. I'm feeling nostalgic now. Having started with Basic is nothing to
be ashamed of, it was the only programming language available with pre-PC
computers. Now, if it had been COBOL, shame would be apropriate.

> Annie
Jimmy.

--
"The Information Superhighway made it possible for the average person
to find out what some nerd thinks about Star Trek"

http://lit.compsoc.com/
http://www.litsu.ie/

GPG Fingerprint: B6C4 9E2B C62F 1B05 FC0D  F543 6800 67C7 FF5D 8291