A teen's point of view

Jimmy O'Regan <jimregan@lit.compsoc.com> said:

> Being not long out of my teens, myself, I can say that the things teens
> want are the same as non-technical adults - office-type software (for
> school projects etc), e-mail and games/emulators.
> Plus, most teens I know would avoid things aimed at "teens".

I am a teenager, and I don't enjoy using "office type applications". My
enjoyment comes from learning new things (because I'm a geek!) and playing
games. Perhaps distrabuting games such as quake (although this is nearly
impossible) and other games similar would make debian enjoyable. I think that
trying to integrate things such as "Debian 2.2 Tour" (like the windows 98
tour) is a waste of time, it will make us seems patronising to the users.

And finally, I do feel you are underestimating teenagers abilities, we are not
all that stupid. I have seen friends of mine learn computer related things
faster than a lot of adults could, even though the adults may have more
expieriance.

Kids' natuaral curiousity will often persevere at younger ages more than in
the teens. I learnt BASIC at 12; admittedly not the best start, but at least I
got to vent my interest.

Annie

--
 /"\