Re: Debian for education

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:22:36 -0400
Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 10:33:58AM +0100, Vladimir Tamara wrote:
> > I would  like to know  the opinion of  some people in this  list about
> > PingOO.   It  is a  free  debian  based  distribution for  servers  of
> > schools.
> >
> > Shouldn't we try to work with them also?
>
> Definitely worth looking into.  Aside from their reliance on certain
> pieces of non-free software (mostly to solve education-specific needs,
> e.g. imapd, smartup) there is bound to be overlap between what they have
> done and what a debian-edu group would have to accomplish.  However, since
> their focus seems to be servers, and Debian Jr.'s more on the desktop end,
> they are not quite as good a match for Debian Jr. itself.

Today I've met Jean-Claude Fernandez who is the boss of the CRI. This orginism
has realized Pingoo. About the non-free software, I don't really know, I think
the only piece of software depending on non free software is the admistration
tool written in Java. But they gonna rewrite it with free software only.
It's true that Pingoo is a communication server right now but they are just
starting a new project of zero administration workstation based again on Debian.
So they may be interested by Debian/Education work.

Hilaire

--
OFSET - Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching
http://www.ofset.org