Re: Debian Jr. and Debian Jr. Lite

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> Well, I know Andreas Tille has mentioned his son uses mc, but as I recall,
> he is older.  I'm not sure about children in the 5 to 8 range.  I never
Yes, my son is 10 years old.  I prefer mc because he sometimes plays DOS
games and I teached him how to handle the saving files with Norton Commander.
So mc is a tool he knows (at least the basics) and from my own very
personal point of view (opinions may differ!) it is the best filemanager
I can imagine.  The internal editor is fine (might have the same features
as pico/nano (??? i don't know both - I prefer vi when using pine) and
has syntax highlighting features which make my son happy.

> used any such thing with my kids.  It was always either bash or X.  They
> seem to be comfortable with both.  R (6) has been a happy bash user since
> he was about 3 when we only had a terminal and a largely inaccessible
> parent's system (a P100 situated in our room, where the children did not
> have free access to it ... this had more to do with space constraints at
Are there any hidden places in your flat ;-)).

> and to play a few bsdgames, the favourites being boggle and hangman.  But
I patched hangman to handle German Umlauts and build a word database from
the German ispell file (hmm - unfortunately I have to do it also with
the "new orthography" beast (:-(( grrr - I hate it!!) because my son has
to learn this.  Perhaps I will rewrite hangman to enable internationalisation
but this might need some time.

> I'd like to hear people's experiences with menu shells and children.  So
> far, we only list mc.  There may be a niche there I am missing.
To list only mc might be not so good, but personally I don't know an
alternative.  If you like one listed, do it.

> Too bad.  Are there any smaller alternatives?  I heard that recently
> konqueror has been ported to run on qt-embedded.  Does anyone know about
> this version?  Is it decoupled from all of that KDE bloat?
I havn't tried the whole KDE/Qt stuff but qt-embedded might be a good
idea for poor hardware.  Onybody testing it?

Kind regards

         Andreas.