Re: xearth is non-free; is there a free alternative?

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 09:11:13AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 09-Dec-2000 Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 01:12:47PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> >> xearth
> >
> > oops, i really have to be more careful about checking the section.  this
> > is in non-free.  i have just moved it to that list on the packaged page.
> > it's one of those stupid "non-commercial use only" type licenses due to
> > the lzw/gif images used in the package.  Is there a free xearth
> > alternative that doesn't have this problem?
> >

> xplanet maybe?  There are two or three apps like this floating around, I
> believe they are packaged.  Search for earth / planet in the descriptions?

xplanet is packaged.  The only problem I had with xplanet is that it
eats much more resources than xearth.  Maybe it will be better with a
lower resolution map.

--
Jan Hlavacek                                            (219) 434-7566
Department of Mathematics                             Jhlavacek@sf.edu