Re: Debian Jr. and Debian Jr. Lite

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> "Debian Jr. Ultra-light"
>
> CPU:	486dx/33
> RAM:	16M
> Disk:	200M
> Video:	512K unaccelerated, 640x480 VGA
> Sound:	optional
> Comments:
> 	X just barely runs on this system.  You might get away with
> 	it for a while if you get something like this, especially while
> 	the kids are still very young and are just playing with "desktop
> 	toys" on it.  It makes a decent "second system" to run as an X
> 	terminal connected to a parents' box.  Systems like this can be
> 	found for free or dirt cheap if you know where to look.  I found
> 	just such a system for a friend for $30 Canadian.  You won't
> 	be able to run memory-hungry apps like gimp on this.
Agreed.

> "Debian Jr. Light"
>
> CPU:	Pentium 100
> RAM:	32M
> Disk:	1G
> Video:	4M 2D accelerated, 1024x768 SVGA
> Sound:	16-bit (e.g. SB16)
> Comments:
> 	This is a nice, solid box that runs X well.  While not exactly
> 	free, it's going to be within the reach of most families as a
> 	system the whole family can use.  It will run many more things
> 	than the "Ultra-light" but still won't run gimp or the 3D
> 	hardware-accelerated stuff. Also, with that little memory,
> 	Mozilla will be unusable.  If Mozilla is a requirement, use the
> 	"Debian Jr." option instead, or run it on a better box and just
> 	use this as an X server to connect to it.
Agreed.

> "Debian Jr."
>
> CPU:	K6-2/300
Hmm, X and Gimp run fine on my K6/200 ...
I wouldn't name my box modern, but both are fast enough (else I would by
a new box.  However, Gnome is quite slow.
> RAM:	64M
> Disk:	2G
> Video:	16M 3D accelerated, 1024x768 SVGA
Another hmm, are there so many 3D accelerated things inside Debian???
In my opinion 8M (not accelerated) is enough (good old Millenium II?).
> Sound:	16-bit (e.g. SB16)
> Comments:
> 	This is probably the bottom rung of what is considered "modern".
> 	You can finally run gimp on this.  If you're on a strict budget
> 	but still want to be able to try out some of the 3D stuff, it is a
> 	start.  Although some of the more high-performance stuff is going
> 	to require some upgrades.  This will run pretty well everything in
> 	Debian Jr., (but not everything at once :)

May be you should add a "Debian Jr. heavy" with 3D acceleration and a
faster CPU with more RAM.

> My judgements as to what constitutes "minimum" are rather arbitrary.
> I would like to see various different configurations field-tested and
> get reports back about what works and what doesn't.
As I said I would decrease the requirements for a "normal" system, because
I think I'm running a "normal" system at home quite fine.

> things that work on their system.  There's nothing more frustrating than
> to download over a 56K modem a whole mess of stuff only to find that the
> coolest looking things won't run on your box at all.
Perhaps we should add a connection type.  A "heavy" system should perhaps
include ADSL (at least in Germany this will become standard for power
users) so people could easily upgrade to the latest system.

Kind regards

          Andreas.