Re: List of consultants focusing on Debian packaging for Java?

Hi Emmanuel,

On 06/12/2020 22:18, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Did you consider building a .deb package with jdeb [1] ? It's an
> alternative that involves much less work than uploading to the Debian
> repository. For a complex and very specialized software like OpenRefine
> that might be more suitable. This list can still give some guidance on
> how to structure the package and ensure it plays well with the Java
> ecosystem in Debian.

This is also a good idea, which would probably be much easier to
implement and impose less constraints on our dependency management.
Maybe for an end-user tool like OpenRefine this is the best approach indeed.

But the end goal of this is to really ease installation of the tool for
end users, and I am not sure if it is easier for users to add a
repository to their sources.list, update and install, or to simply unzip
an archive on their computer and run the tool from there.

Obviously getting into the Debian repository would be ideal. But perhaps
it would serve our current user base better to use Snap / Flatpak (for
instance with the aim to be available in the Ubuntu Software Center),
even if I much prefer the philosophy of Debian packaging.

Keep the suggestions coming, this is super useful!

Antonin