Re: Maven packages in Debian (was Re: Progress in preparing the Bazel Build System for Debian (COVID-19 Biohackathon follow-up))

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 07:29:33AM +0100, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> Hi Olek,
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 5:09 AM Olek Wojnar <olek@debian.org> wrote:

> >> +1, an online search engine similar to codesearch.debian.net would be
> >> awesome (and more useful than a package I think).
> >>
> >> In the same vein, I dream of a search.maven.org like web service
> >> restricted to the Maven artifacts in Debian.
> >

> > So has there been any more progress on this? For the record, I *LOVE* the original page [1] and it is now one of three pinned tabs on my browser. However, the data is getting stale. The expanded version proposed by Sudip would be great but, in the meantime, would it be possible to script a periodic update of the current page?
>
> I made a python script which saves the information in a sqlite
> database and that same script can search for a class or can list the
> classes in a package. Also, has an option to update the database. Tony
> (added in Cc) had been testing it. But I have not made any attempt to
> package it yet, as the preference was for a web application.

I find Sudip's script to create, update, and search a local sqlite
database quite useful.  We could make the script available to developers
who want to use it locally; it doesn't even need to be packaged in my
opinion - we simply make the script available in a repo on Salsa.

It seems like it could also be used to build the sqlite backend for
a web version.  It just needs a machine with a little bit of horsepower
and access to a mirror (or a caching proxy).

Cheers,
tony