Re: Upgrading freehep to latest upstream (needed by cdk and probably others)

Hi,

Il 02/07/20 01:34, Emmanuel Bourg ha scritto:
> Sorry for the late reply I'm noticing this thread only now. Even if the
> geogebra package is outdated it's still fairly popular. Would it be
> possible to package an older version of FreeHEP so we can preserve geogebra?

On second thought, it seems that it would not be too difficult to port
GeoGebra to the new FreeHEP, so maybe we can consider this a little bit
more carefully.

FTP masters, please wait a little bit before executing this RM.

The required changes are:

 * GeoGebra must be patched to avoid EMFPlus exporting. Easy to do, and
I doubt anyone will cry over that missing feature.

 * FreeHEP should be patched so that the field "os" in SVGGraphics2D is
protected instead of private, because a class in GeoGebra wants to
access it to extend the superclass behavior. While this is not intended
by FreeHEP authors, it does not appear to be a big problem either.
GeoGebra uses that field "at its own responsibility", and clearly this
change cannot cause malfunctions to any other reasonable software which
just ignores that field. So it seems a totally legitimate patch for the
FreeHEP version in Debian, given that it allows to have GeoGebra (even
if an old version).

 * If the FreeHEP patch is considered completely unacceptable, I believe
it is possible to modify GeoGebra so that it does not depend on it. For
example, a drastic change would be to disable SVG exportation
altogether, like it would be done for EMFPlus. However, SVG is a much
more relevant exportation format than EMFPlus, so I would try to avoid
this. Looking briefly at the code, the only thing the FreeHEP patch is
required for by GeoGebra is to insert grouping information in the
exported SVG. Probably the same graphic result can be obtained without
the groups.

All in all, I believe that it would be sensible to have the FreeHEP
patch. Even if grouping is not required for the graphical result, it is
a nice feature when one wants to further edit the exported image. And
the patch in FreeHEP is from my point of view really minor.

What do you think about this?

Thanks, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani@gmail.com>
Postdoc researcher - Université Libre de Bruxelles