Re: Notes from the DebConf 17 Java BOF

Thank you for the summary Tom. How many people attended the BOF?

On 08/09/2017 02:50 AM, Tom Marble wrote:

> 1. Making openjdk-9 the default for buster
>    - Yes we should try to do this.
>    - We will gain some fixes for reproducible builds

Do we know what has improved on the reproducibility side with OpenJDK 9?

>    - Chris West has done some excellent work trying to rebuild the
>      archive with openjdk-9
>    - FYI: the next Ubuntu LTS in April would like to ship with openjdk-9

As the default JRE? That would be quite optimistic.

> 2. Targets without HotSpot
>    - We could maintain this with gcj (despite gcj being dropped from
>      upstream)

The number of packages runnable with GCJ is shrinking rapidly (Java 5
only). There is no point keeping it as an alternative for HotSpot.

> 3. Scala
>    - We discussed the value of packaging sbt
>    - Need to fix a reproducible build problem to bring it from
>      experimental to stable

What are the issues blocking SBT currently?

> 4. Clojure
>    - Currently does not have JDK 9 support
>    - The Clojure Team will look into this with upstream

Did you discuss if we keep the Java and Clojure teams/packages under the
same umbrella?

> 5. javadoc
>    - Our packages that are standards 4.0.1 compliant should support
>     "nodoc"

maven-debian-helper will support the "nodoc" option in the next update,
but some help from debhelper is still required to make it work with no
other modification to the existing packages (see #871822).

>    - Some users appreciate offline access to docs

I would add that we spent a non negligible amount of time maintaining
these rarely used packages and dealing with their reproducibility
issues. Besides the JDK and some very popular libraries I think we
should drop them.

> 6. Autopkgtest
>    - We should use this more
>    - Can include built-in tests
>    - We can (or autopkgtest already does) use 'ratt' to test reverse deps

My understanding of autopkgtest was that it wasn't meant to execute the
test suite already run at build time (i.e. mvn test). Maybe it could be
used to run the Maven integration tests instead?

Emmanuel Bourg