Re: Notes from the DebConf 17 Java BOF

Hi Emmanuel/all,

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 00:06:41 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> Thank you for the summary Tom. How many people attended the BOF?
>
> On 08/09/2017 02:50 AM, Tom Marble wrote:
>
> > 1. Making openjdk-9 the default for buster
> >    - Yes we should try to do this.
> >    - We will gain some fixes for reproducible builds
>
> Do we know what has improved on the reproducibility side with OpenJDK 9?
>

> >    - Chris West has done some excellent work trying to rebuild the
> >      archive with openjdk-9
> >    - FYI: the next Ubuntu LTS in April would like to ship with openjdk-9
>
> As the default JRE? That would be quite optimistic.
>

> > 2. Targets without HotSpot
> >    - We could maintain this with gcj (despite gcj being dropped from
> >      upstream)
>
> The number of packages runnable with GCJ is shrinking rapidly (Java 5
> only). There is no point keeping it as an alternative for HotSpot.
>

> > 3. Scala
> >    - We discussed the value of packaging sbt
> >    - Need to fix a reproducible build problem to bring it from
> >      experimental to stable
>
> What are the issues blocking SBT currently?

I've sent a list of sbt related packages (for experimental) on mentors
some time ago that Andreas kindly sponsored them. All but one were accepted
by ftpmasters ; there's only scala-tools-sbinary remaining : I guess
it's being examined :)
https://mentors.debian.net/package/scala-tools-sbinary

So at the moment, we have in experimental :
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/jawn
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/json4s
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/sbt
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/sbt-ivy