Re: Jessie release notes for the Java packages

On 04/07/2015 02:45 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 07/04/2015 22:11, tony mancill a écrit :
>> I was going to mention androidsdk-tools as well, along with a few other
>> new additions that seem noteworthy:
>>
>> swt4-gtk
>> clojure1.6
>> derby
>> eclipse-linuxtools (major update)
>> eclipse-ptp
>> eclipse-wtp
>> groovy2
>> guava-libraries (major update)
>> jackson-*
>> resteasy
>> tika
>
> Thank you for these suggestions. I'm not sure the library upgrades are
> worth mentioning, that's hardly perceptible from a user's point of view.
> I'd rather focus on the main applications in the release notes, and we
> may write a more detailed summary on the wiki.

Okay, but I think a lot of our Java users are developers. Anyway, maybe
just clojure from that list. derby seems like something users might like
to use too.

> I'm not familiar with the Eclipse ecosystem, are PTP and WTP standalone
> tools or modules for the Eclipse IDE?

I think of them as modules or configurations of Eclipse.  PTP
assembles/provides tools for parallel application development and
debugging.  WTP is a collection of tools focused on web development.  In
any event, our overall version of eclipse still lags, so perhaps it's
not worth mentioning them.

>> But perhaps then it just ends up looking like a list.  The statistics
>> suggested by Markus might be more compact.  (# of new, % updated, etc.)
>
> Is there any script available to compile these statistics?

Not to my knowledge.

>> We might also announce the removal of jboss.
                              ^^^^^^^
> The packaging was never completed and it hasn't been used, no need to
> mention it I think.

My point was that it was part of wheezy, but has been removed.

Thank you for assembling these.
tony