Having trouble updating maven-scm

I'm attempting to package up Zanata for my day job, and I'm having
trouble with maven-scm. I've not dealt a lot with Java packaging, so I'm
learning as I go, but zanata-parent's POM looks complex enough that I
should begin there.

A collapsed dependency tree (that doesn't contain things that are
already in the archive) I have so far looks like:

zanata-parent:
	maven-sortpom-plugin:
		libreflection-utils-java (which I've packaged up fine)
		maven-gpg-plugin (same)
		maven-release-plugin: (working on it)
			surefire (>= 2.12)
			maven-scm (>= 1.4)

You can see that maven-release-plugin requires a new surefire -- using
the 2.16 packaging that's up on anonscm worked great with some small
changes to deal with the new failsafe plugin, which I'd be delighted to
contribute back, but it also requires a newer maven-scm, since it calls
methods that were only added in 1.4.

Pulling down the latest release of maven-scm (1.9.2) and using the
existing packaging from 1.3 results in Maven declaring that it can not
locate junit:junit:jar:debian, because it looks like maven-scm-api's POM
does not specify the version of junit. If I patch that in, then Maven
complains about junit's debian version again because of:

[INFO] Building Maven SCM Manager for Plexus
Missing:
----------
1) junit:junit:jar:debian
  Path to dependency:
  	1) org.apache.maven.scm:maven-scm-manager-plexus:jar:1.9.2
  	2) org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-container-default:jar:1.0-alpha
  	3) classworlds:classworlds:jar:debian
  	4) junit:junit:jar:debian

But from what I can see, classworlds' debian POM has a version of 3.x
for its junit dependency, so why is Maven insisting it needs a debian
version of junit?

Please CC me, as I am not subscribed.

Thanks,
--