Re: Updating Eclipse

Le 13/01/2015 21:09, Pascal Rapicault a écrit :

> - What drives the decision to package certain Eclipse libraries as
> system jars and not others (e.g. swt and osgi, but not emf or jface
> whereas they can run on plain java as well)?

We have a Java Policy [1] that requires jars to be installed in
/usr/share/java. However in some situations is doesn't really make
sense, for example a Maven plugin is only useful in a Maven repository.
This case hasn't been integrated to the policy yet, but there is a
Lintian warning to detect it.

I'm not familiar with Eclipse, but there may be a similar case in this
context.

> - Do we have stats about what the user is downloading? The reason I'm
> asking is to understand if all the packages are needed.

The popcon site mentioned by Paul is what you are looking for. Note that
it doesn't take into account the Ubuntu installation numbers [2] which
are higher especially for desktops applications (for eclipse, ~150000
installations in Ubuntu vs 5800 in Debian)

>     Now what strikes me with the current approach is the amount of
> effort required to maintain an individual package, and I would really
> hope that we can find a more systematic way of bringing various parts of
> Eclipse to debian, especially that we want to provide more eclipse based
> applications to the user (e.g. there is a standalone C debugger
> (https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/StandaloneDebugger), or trace compass
> (https://projects.eclipse.org/proposals/trace-compass)).
>
> Again, thanks for your help and time. I will talk with the people
> funding the effort to see what are the next steps, so don't take it
> personally if you never hear from me :)

Note that you are not alone, if you feel overwhelmed by the number of
missing dependencies required to build a recent version of Eclipse we
should be able help and package some of them. You can also contact us on
IRC #debian-java if you need some technical support.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/
[2] http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_inst