Re: Updating Eclipse

Le 14/01/2015 02:41, Paul Wise a écrit :

>>     Yes, this is true especially in the Maven world since it guarantees
>> build reproducibility.
>
> We plan to solve that in Debian by recording versions of
> build-dependencies at build time and reproducing the build environment
> when doing build reproducibility testing:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/BuildinfoSpecification
> https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/About#Reproduce_the_build_environment

I'd like to highlight that the philosophy of build reproducibility is
different in the Maven and in the Debian context. Debian focuses on
producing the same binaries at the byte level for a given set of
versionned build dependencies, whereas Maven guarantees that the exact
versions of the build dependencies will always be available in the Maven
Central repository to rebuild artifacts with the same behavior (but the
artifacts produced will be different due to things like timestamps in
the manifests).

In Debian we usually keep only one version of each library (with some
notable exceptions like junit, asm or icu) and the behavior may change
every time a build dependency is updated. So in the Debian context, we
are almost never reproducing the same build that was executed upstream
because the dependencies are different. This works well most of the
time, but sometimes it goes horribly wrong (like the Maven 3.1 upgrade...)

Emmanuel Bourg