Re: A pile of shonky packages (with errors)

Le 14/02/2014 18:37, Matthew Vernon a écrit :

> I've been doing a bit more work on this, and have different problems
> now. I've put a whole pile of source and binary packages, and build logs
> here:
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~matthewv/javadebs/

Thank you. Here are my observations:
- libxmltooling-java is missing a build dependency on
libjcip-annotations-java
- libshib-parent-project2-java seems to be a snapshot from the trunk, is
it really the version 1? If so it should install a version '1' and a
version 'debian' in /usr/share/maven-repo, and not TRUNK-SNAPSHOT
- libxmltooling-java fails to build with the version of BouncyCastle
currently in sid (1.49). It will need some patching.

> The thing I'm trying to get right is libxmltooling-java [0]. The
> problems I'm having with that are:
>
> i) lintian complains that my classpaths are wrong:
>
> W: libxmltooling-java: missing-classpath libbcprov-java,
> libcommons-codec-java, libjaxp1.3-java, libjoda-time-java,
> libnot-yet-commons-ssl-java, libshib-parent-project2-java,
> libxalan2-java, libxerces2-java, libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java,
> libxml-security-java

You can ignore this warning, most of the time the classpath is useless.

> ii) despite my having told "mh_make" that I wanted to install as version
> 1.x, it's installing only as version 1.4.2-SNAPSHOT only

Yes, because you have three conflicting rules. This one preserves the
version, you should remove it:

    org.opensaml xmltooling jar * * *

Keep only this one:

    org.opensaml xmltooling jar s/.*/debian/ * *

> iii) the .pom file ends up with garbage in which maven later chokes on:
> Failed to parse
> /home/mcv21/packages/libxmltooling-java-1.4.2/debian/maven-repo/org/opensaml/xmltooling/1.4.2-SNAPSHOT/xmltooling-1.4.2-SNAPSHOT.pom
> javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamException: ParseError at [row,col]:[19,13]
> Message: start tag unexpected character $
>
> this is because of:
> <debian.${xerces.groupId}.serializer.originalVersion>debian</debian.${xerces.groupId}.serializer.originalVersion>
>
> This is a mis-parse of a rule in maven.rules, I think, and it would be
> better to suppress it entirely. How?

If you can't fix that with a Maven rule you can simply patch the pom to
replace the ${xerces.groupId} variable with 'org.apache.xerces'.

> By way of background, the other packages are:
>
> * libjcip-annotations-java-doc_20060626-3.1 - possible NMU to add maven
> support to this package

No need to do a NMU. You can upload a regular update from the Java Team.

> * libnot-yet-commons-ssl-java_0.3.9-3 - package of a dependency of
> libxmltooling-java
>
> * libshib-parent-project2-java_1-1 - the parent POM of
> libxmltooling-java (and some other things that the IdP depends upon);
> packaging this up seemed the best way to get it into my project? The
> compile errors I had yesterday were related to it missing dependencies
> that are specified in this POM

Usually we simply ignore the parent poms, but this one doesn't look
trivial, so a dedicated package probably makes sense.

Emmanuel Bourg