Re: State of Jenkins in Debian

On 03/04/2014 06:37 AM, James Page wrote:
> Hi Team
>
> I'm writing here first before I file a formal RFH or O in the hope
> that someone in the team might have the capacity to take up the mantle
> of maintaining Jenkins in Debian.
>
> I've found myself with increasingly less time to spend on Jenkins; my
> day-job has changed focus quite a bit in the last 18 months so
> in-hours time on Jenkins is limited (if non-existent) and with a
> growing family, I've not much time other than that right now.  Which
> reading that back is pretty much 0 time.
>
> I'm also concerned about where Jenkins could be realistically
> maintained in a stable Debian; Upstream move fast (LTS release every 3
> months) and I've found that unless you understand the inside of
> Kohsuke's mind,  trying to backport to older releases is extremely
> time consuming/if not impossible.
>
> I'm also not sure how useful the packages are; alot of sites I would
> expect to use the Debian package don't - jenkins.debian.org for
> example.  Can't really blame people - its different to upstreams
> packaging in terms of how its built and what it ships with.
>
> With these three things in mind, I'm considering orphaning the package
> and requesting its removal from both Debian and Ubuntu.

Hi James,

This is a timely topic, as I have been giving this matter some thought
as well with respect to tomcat and other Java-based software and how to
support it in Debian stable.

In general, for software that has an active upstream already tackling
the problems of frequent updates for security and bug fixes, the user
community might be better served by a PPA or similar.  Essentially,
instead of having tomcat-x.y.z be *the* version in Debian $release,
users could instead opt to install packages that are compatible
with/intended for $release.  I think this is a somewhat natural
consequence of upstreams that continuously release new versions, and
it's like volatile (and maybe a little like backports).  And I think
that many users and shops end up doing this anyway by building from
source (or source packages, if available), or installing the upstream
software directly.

In any event, I can sympathize and am glad that you're opening the
discussion.  Not everything is going to fit the "stable" distribution
model - sometimes you need the "freshest bits."

Cheers,
tony

P.S. There is a somewhat related thread to this regarding supporting
OpenStack on wheezy over on debian-backports [0].

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2014/03/msg00021.html