Re: State of Jenkins in Debian

Le 12/03/2014 05:43, tony mancill a écrit :

> In general, for software that has an active upstream already tackling
> the problems of frequent updates for security and bug fixes, the user
> community might be better served by a PPA or similar.  Essentially,
> instead of having tomcat-x.y.z be *the* version in Debian $release,
> users could instead opt to install packages that are compatible
> with/intended for $release.  I think this is a somewhat natural
> consequence of upstreams that continuously release new versions, and
> it's like volatile (and maybe a little like backports).  And I think
> that many users and shops end up doing this anyway by building from
> source (or source packages, if available), or installing the upstream
> software directly.

For the record I pushed the latest version of tomcat7 to
wheezy-backports. I do agree that uploading the new versions of Tomcat
to fix security issues would be much better than backporting the changes
to the version in stable. Tomcat is very stable and well tested, the
risk of regression is low.

> In any event, I can sympathize and am glad that you're opening the
> discussion.  Not everything is going to fit the "stable" distribution
> model - sometimes you need the "freshest bits."

What about uploading such packages to contrib instead of main? This
could relax some of the constraints like packaging the dependencies
separately. I have other packages in mind I'd like to see in Debian that
could fit this scheme (Archiva, Nexus, Qpid, IntelliJ).

Emmanuel Bourg