Re: RFS: metawarej - Java framework for creating web-based business applications.

Dear Emmanuel,

On 28/10/13 11:43, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
Hi Kostas,

I can't upload your package but here is my quick review:

- debian/changelog: the package should target the unstable distribution
and not UNRELEASED

- You have created a native package, this is usually  reserved for tools
developed by Debian. Change the source format to 3.0 (quilt) and the
package version 3.3-1. You should also provide a debian/watch file to
help detecting new versions.

I understood wrong. I thought that if the package can be built directly from the original source then it could be considered native.

- debian/copyright: The format isn't right, see
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

- As I understand metawarej is a framework and not a standalone
application. In this case the binary package should be named
"libmetawarej-java". The source package can remain as "metawarej".

- metawarej being a library, do you intend to upload other packages
depending on it?

Most of the applications we built for specific business or government domains that would not be of general interest or they don't belong to us.

- Why choosing the AGPL3 for a library aimed at business applications?
That's quite an unfriendly license for this context. GPL or LGPL are
best suited for this use case.

For PDF creation, we use/depend libitext5 which is AGPL3. Do you know if we can use LGPL even thought we depend on AGPL3 packages? In any case I'll read up on this because we do want to make this package easier to use.

Thank you very much for your review. I will fix everything and try again.

Best Regards

Kostas Papadopoulos

Emmanuel Bourg