Re: I'd like to introduce myself

Le 19/02/2013 08:08, tony mancill a écrit :
> I don't see any harm in option 3 - in fact, I can address it in the next
> upload.  It won't have any effect on the current version of tomcat7 to
> be released with wheezy though.

The only issue with option 3 is that every 2 years when a new version of
Java is released, all packages have to be updated to accept
java<n+1>-runtime. That seems a bit awkward.

That brings another option:

4. Get dpkg to support versions on the Provides field, and then update
the packages once and for all to declare a unique dependency on
java-runtime (>= n)

> For (2), I see benefit in java-package generating a Provides line that
> is similar to what is generated by the openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 packages.

I'll try to do that, or at least add java<n-1>-runtime and
java<n-2>-runtime to the list.

> The Java Policy [1] is outdated in this area, so it's useful to have
> this discussion.

What is the process to get the policy updated?

Emmanuel Bourg