Re: New work on java-package

On 03/27/2012 10:12 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 20/03/2012 12:41, Andrew Haley a écrit :
>> Comments like this are infuriating.  I want to make OpenJDK
>> competitive, but I can't do anything with this because I don't know
>> what you're talking about.  I can't reproduce the problem, so I can't
>> fix it.  Is there anything more frustrating than being told there's
>> a problem, but not what it is?  It's like something out of Kafka.
>
> There are indeed issues with OpenJDK that do not exist with the Oracle
> JRE. Here is an issue I reported recently:
>
> Tomcat with authbind on OpenVZ throws "SocketException: Cannot allocate
> memory" (works with sun-java6)
>
> That's the only hurdle that prevents me from migrating my production
> servers to OpenJDK (and the reason why I contributed some changes to
> java-package).

Right, that's an example of a comment that is actually useful.

That's going to be tricky to find.  I presume that the message is
deceptive, and it's actually a permissions problem.  If you run

strace -f -etrace=net java ...

you'll be able to see the bind call that fails, and we can take it
from there.

Andrew.