Re: New work on java-package

On 03/19/2012 07:11 PM, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> The focus of my message was to point out the need for users of Debian
> and its derivatives to be able to install an official JRE or JDK from
> Oracle. If I gave the impression of criticizing OpenJDK, my apologies;
> that was not the intent.
>
> Like so many others, I'll be happy when OpenJDK is the de facto
> choice for all things based on the JVM. Currently, high performance
> and graphical applications still see significant improvement when
> using the Oracle JRE/JDK.

Comments like this are infuriating.  I want to make OpenJDK
competitive, but I can't do anything with this because I don't know
what you're talking about.  I can't reproduce the problem, so I can't
fix it.  Is there anything more frustrating than being told there's
a problem, but not what it is?  It's like something out of Kafka.

Actual specific problems with performance are something we can
address.  Core performance differences are very few:  It's the same VM.
Oracle does have a few magic optimized classes we don't have, and they
have a proprietary font renderer.  We don't use Oracle's plugin.
There isn't much else.

> People are now using some less desirable approaches like the one
> mentioned in a blog post from earlier in the year[0] which is not as
> rigorous or disciplined as the approach we were taking when using
> java-package years ago prior to the advent of the DLJ. I believe it
> would be a service to our user community to provide the java-package
> utility once more until the time when OpenJDK fully displaces Oracle's
> non-free offering for all cases.

I understand, and I agree.

Andrew.