Re: New work on java-package

To build upon several threads regarding java-package, I've played with it on my side with the hope it could find his way back in debian (I too need clean installs of Oracle java on debian, should it only be because it's Oracle one and companies/people don't want to hear about subtle differences, they want the one they used to use, the one everybody use, the one they download and use on their windows, ...)

I put my fork on github for the moment : https://github.com/cedricpineau/java-package
It consists of :
- last codebase of java-package (0.42)
- complete removal of previously supported jvm (blackdown, ibm, sun, etc), to refocus the tool on tested and used contents - addition of 32bits and 64bits Oracle 7 (jdk, jre, javadoc), with iceweasel and chromium as supported navigators so far.

Do you, debian developpers and java-package authors, think this "trimmed and renewed" version could be a new start for java-package ? Is it desirable for debian to offer a tool that ease the use of non free software like Oracle JVM ? (http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/09/msg00012.html) Is it acceptable to keep the name but remove previous content, the way I did it ? Eventually, would someone be interested to sponsor me on this package as I volunteer to keep working on it (java6, ..) ?

Best wishes to all, thanks for your advices.

--
Cédric

Cédric and Debian Java,
What a funny bit of timing! After a few years away from the project, I have resumed using Debian for my Java development, and ran into issues that made me want to start maintaining java-package again.

For those who don't know or remember me, I used to maintain java-package (and quite a few others) for this team from 2004-2007. When my children were born and I started my own company, my discretionary time severely reduced, so I had to put my Open Source work for Debian on hold.

At DebConf 2006 when Mark Shuttleworth and Simon Phipps (of Sun Microsystems at the time) announced the DLJ license for Java, many of us were elated, since it would now finally be possible to have a full JRE/JDK readily installable from the Debian non-free repository. Once Java 5 and 6 were available via that route, java-package lost its purpose.

Then Oracle bought Sun Microsystems, and in Fall 2011 they decided to do away with the DLJ. Honestly, I did not think it was that big of an issue, since I was hearing such great stuff about OpenJDK.

However, as someone who makes a living actually writing applications and systems in Java, I can tell you that OpenJDK is not sufficient for all Java development and usage at this time. There are cases where performance is critical that OpenJDK has yet to measure up to the Oracle JDK, and when you talk about desktop applications and applets, the disparity between the two is considerable.

For example, JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA, one of the main IDEs for Java development, still doesn't endorse the use of OpenJDK. If you download IDEA and launch it via a terminal, you will see the following warning:

~$ ./idea-IC-111.277/bin/idea.sh
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b24~pre2-1)
WARNING: You are launching IDE using OpenJDK Java runtime.

THIS IS STRICTLY UNSUPPORTED DUE TO KNOWN PERFORMANCE AND GRAPHICS PROBLEMS!

NOTE:    If you have both Oracle (Sun) JDK and OpenJDK installed
please validate either IDEA_JDK, JDK_HOME, or JAVA_HOME environment variable points to valid Oracle (Sun) JDK installation.
         See http://ow.ly/6TuKQ for more info on switching default JDK

Having been away for a few years, I need to come up to speed on the changes to packaging policy and the workflow for package development with the new Git repository, etc., but I'm sure it'll come back to me quickly, like riding a bicycle. :-)

Regards,
--
Barry Hawkins
All Things Computed