Re: DebConf11: Java Team Meeting and Eclipse Packaging BoF

On 07/26/2011 06:54 AM, Niels Thykier wrote:

> I hope people can join even though I was late in getting them up an running.
> I expect the Java Meeting will mostly be about do a status update/health
> check on what we are doing (and what we should be doing). We can debate the
> "Java Release Goals", multi-arch status for Java or whatever you'd like
> (possibly except Jigsaw, which has its own thing later that day).

Hi Niels,

Thanks for organizing. I won't be able to attend, but wanted to propose
a few minor topics for the Java Team Meeting:

* Many of the packages using maven-repo-helper end up installing JARs under
/usr/share/maven-repo/ and then symlinks in /usr/share/java/.  Is this in
violation of Java Policy?  (Even if it's not, is there a reason not to have the
actual JARs under /usj, provided that they're not private?) I think it would be
nice if, by default, maven-repo-helper would assume that the JARs were
non-private and thus should be installed in /usj.  However, there may be
technical reasons why this isn't feasible or palatable.

* Is there any consensus on (or objection to) migrating team-maintained packages
from svn to git?  I'm thinking specifically about tomcat6 in
the short-term but don't want to alienate other contributors.

Thank you,
tony