Re: openfire debian package

Hello,

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 21:08 +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Fri Jun 13 19:52, Yann Rouillard wrote:

> > > 4)  There are many other jars in the tarball, and these should be removed
> > > as well (even though you have included their copyrights/licenses in
> > > debian/copyright). Generally binaries are not allowed in the orig.tar.gz
> > > files (because of potential licensing issues, concerns about if the
> > > package [and its dependencies] can be built from free source, size of
> > > archive etc).
> >
> > So this means I have to make a debian package for all the jars that are
> > not in debian. Outch, this will really be a lot of work.
> > Openfire uses 30/40 java libraries that are not packaged in Debian.
>
> Yes, this is the policy.

Do you refer to having to create seperate source packages here?
If so I believe, your statement is not true. The only section in the
policy which I can find to support that position, is the line:
        Packages involving shared libraries should be split up into
        several binary packages.
(from Chapter 8 - Shared libraries of the general policy)
But this refers only to binary packages and is only a SHOULD. Can you
please point out the section, that requires libraries to be shipped in a
separate source package?

Of course all class files contained in the source file must be purged
and the copyright notice of all contained libraries must be contained in
debian/copyright.

Best regards

Ben

--