Re: openfire debian package

On Fri Jun 13 19:52, Yann Rouillard wrote:

Hi Yann,

> > 3)  The orig.tar.gz is almost 50Mb, and includes what looks to be a Java
> > runtime (I'd guess a Sun one). This would should be removed from the
> > upstream tarball.
>
> I am currently maintaining the package in a version control system with
> MergeWithUpstream enabled. I use bzr-builddeb.
>
> Do you know how I can change the upstream tarballs with that configuration ?

You will need to repack the tarball with the non-dfsg material removed.
Typically this will entail changing the upstream version number to have
.dfsg at the end and providing a get-orig-source target in debian/rules
which will automatically take an upstream tarball, unpack it, remove all
the non-free stuff and re-pack it again, noting in the copyright file
that you have done this.

> > 4)  There are many other jars in the tarball, and these should be removed
> > as well (even though you have included their copyrights/licenses in
> > debian/copyright). Generally binaries are not allowed in the orig.tar.gz
> > files (because of potential licensing issues, concerns about if the
> > package [and its dependencies] can be built from free source, size of
> > archive etc).
>
> So this means I have to make a debian package for all the jars that are
> not in debian. Outch, this will really be a lot of work.
> Openfire uses 30/40 java libraries that are not packaged in Debian.

Yes, this is the policy. If these libraries are simple then packaging
them is fairly quick and easy. Have a look at the javahelper package
which contains scripts to make your life a lot easier.

> > 5)  The compiled Jars should normally live in /usr/share/java (symlinked
> > from elsewhere if necessary). I think you have got them the other way
> > around. The Jars are also normally versioned as well (e.g. junit.jar ->
> > junit-3.8.1.1.jar).
>
> Even jars only used by openfire should go in /usr/share/java ?

There's some discussion about this, but I think it is entirely
reasonable to put jars which aren't for public use under
/usr/share/openfire (and I do so with my packages). Changing the
debian-java policy to allow this is on my todo list.

Matt
--
Matthew Johnson