Re: Help needed on the Java policy

On Sun Jan 27 20:35, Eric Lavarde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fighting a bit with the current state of the Java policy, and it has
> hit pretty hard because FreeMind isn't in testing anymore because of this
> (see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=436206).
>
> OK, starting from the beginning:
> 1. FreeMind 0.7.1 works only with Sun's Java (let's assume 1.4 only for the
> sake of simplicity).
> 2. i.e. I make my package depend on j2re1.4 | java2-runtime, the first is
> necessary, the second is given by the policy.
> 3. the issue is that anybody can then decide to fulfill the dependency by
> installing whatever provides java2-runtime, even if I perfectly know that
> it won't work.

AIUI, if it only works with Sun Java, you must depend on sun-java6-jre
| sun-java5-jre, not the meta packages, since as you point out they
could be fulfilled by non-sun packages. It will also have to go into
contrib.

If you wish to include packages from java-package, you need to include
those in the or to, but being careful to explictly list sun packages,
not something which will match other packages with which it will not
work.

Also note that since /etc/alternatives/java might point to something
else, your wrapper script or other runtime support should explicitly use
a working JRE. I would be tempted to insist on exactly one VM to depend
on and use here.

Matt
--
Matthew Johnson