Re: maven2 for Debian

Quoting Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de>:

Debian always installs jars with ther version number. The files without
version numbers are just symlinks to the latest version.

Ah... thats good to know.

Debian only packages one (the latest) version of a Java software.
Everthing else would be a horror to support, security- and bloat-wise.

I understand that for acutal programs. However can that work for libraries. You might have to perfectly fine and stable GUI programs. E.g. one using Java 1.4 features and another using brand spanking new Java 6 features and the share the need to the same library but in a VERY different version. Unless we somehow keep both libraries around you can not use both programs.

We patch the Java software to all use the same version of a Java
library.

Wow.. from my refactoring experience in Java that should potentially be a LOT of work. Its a bit like redoing the whole upstream release and QA cycle. Hats off to you all.

This is Debian handles it. And its the only possible way for Debian
because of long release cycles with security support and all that.
This means a lot of work.

I dont think this can be the only option. Two very different version of a library can still be very stable and secure and useful for different programs. Is there any chance that this approach is being reconsidered?

With Maven we will give the user the opportunity to be more uptodate
with Java software installed side-by-side with Debian packages.

Yeah.. but Maven does not do all the nice integration like executable in /usr/bin, desktop icons, version upgrade notification and so on. Packaging the applications is still the way to go as far as I understand to get it to the end user in a seamless way.

manfred