Re: FLOSS and servlets: recommendations

Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 15:06 +0100, MrDemeanour wrote:

Why should a package specific-question be answered in a FAQ related to something different?

Well, my question was about servlet containers in general, not about a
specific package. A servlet container is like a part of the runtime, for
server-side java. Perhaps there is some other FAQ that you could refer
me to?

I'm aware that Debian and Java have had a troubled relationship, and I understand fairly well what is at the root of the problems. I'd like to run fairly simple servlets and JSP pages, and I'm not committed to using Tomcat, although I believe it's the fastest, stablest and most capable free-beer servlet container. But I'm damned if I can find any decent online comparison of the performance and correctness of the competing systems.

Jetty is definitely the easiest and fastest specification-compliant servlet container there is out there.

Oh, I see! In that case I must try it out. Will it run under Kaffe or
SableVM? - I appreciate that the servlets it has to run may be a
different matter.

You don't have to go all the way to Windows to be able to run tomcat,
 just download Sun's jdk, create a deb of it and use tomcat.

Yes, I know what's involved in doing it that way. One of the main goals
of the exercise was to get free from Sun.

--
Jack.