Re: FLOSS and servlets: recommendations

Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 17:08 +0100, MrDemeanour wrote:
>> if I have to be non-free at all, I may as well go the whole hog,
>> and run it on Windoze. I'm not up for compromises.
>
> That is a pretty dumb statement, why would you want to move to Windows just because you can't run a single piece of non-free software for a while until a new Debian version is released?

Because I ran Tomcat on Windows for a long time on my former employer's
equipment - it's familiar, and so it's quick and easy. The machine won't
be connected to the internet, so security isn't (much of) an issue. And
it's not a question of 'a single package' - the purpose of this machine
will be just to run servlets. The only purpose of the OS will be to
support the servlet container.

While I've been working with Linux on and off for a few years, I'm by no
means a guru; I've had various dependency problems that I didn't
understand with mixed systems in the past, and I'm reluctant to dip my
toe in that water again. And I've never so much as looked at Etch.

Anyway, I think I'll give Jetty on Etch a try-out in the next few days.

>> Java stuff tends to depend on ant; I read something that seemed to say that ant was licence-dodgy, at some point in time. Pages need timestamps!
>
> That is also false, Ant has always been under the Apache Software License which has always been Debian-compliant.

OK, thanks, I'm glad to hear it.