Re: java-compiler

Matthew Johnson wrote:

>>> That sounds reasonable. Especially given that a quick inspection of the
>>> most popular compilers indicates that they all provide java-compiler,
>>> and noone uses 1 or 2.
>>>
>>> Would it not be equally reasonable to combine java1-runtime and
>>> java2-runtime?
>>
>> [...]
>> +1 on that suggestion as well.  It has been discussed before and IIRC
>> most of us are in favor of it.  Others please weigh in with a +/-1 and
>> any comments/concerns.  A big thanks to Charles for investing the time
>> to build our concensus on several things and move things forward these
>> days.

We have to change the Debian Java Policy. We have to make a proposal to
change the relevant Debian Java Policy part that specify the virtual
packages thing. Then, we have to file a bug against java-common, see the
examples:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=java-common

Then, I think we need to dd to support the change, rephrase the policy
and upload the new java-common package.

> Are there any plans yet for what to do with 1.5 with regards virtual
> packages and dependencies?

No yet. And if you look at how fast the free java community is working,
I think a free 5.0 VM could be working soon (in facts, it IS already
running, but everything is not working).

If the proposal is accepted, I think we have some other points to
discuss before uploading the new Debian-Java Policy.

Don't forget that if we change a point in the policy, every package that
does not respect the policy should have a SERIOUS bug! So if we change
the policy three or four times, we'll need to bug and upload *all* the
java packages three or four times!

The decisions we are about to take are not without serious consequences!

Thanks for all your interrest,

Cheers,

- --
  .''`.