Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Fri, 2005-14-01 at 20:56 +0100, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> > I am.  I'm not talking about the .deb file containing Eclipse.  If you
> > think you can provide someone with the Eclipse IDE program without
> > providing a JVM, I invite you to try.
> You mean like Fedora? Eclipse 3 nicely compiled to native with gcj, yum,
> and balzing fast, for all I've heard. I wish debian had better gcj
> support. :)
> > When I instruct my computer running the Debian OS to load and run
> > eclipse, the code from some JVM package and the code from the Eclipse
> > package and from dozens of others are loaded into memory.  The process
> > on my computer is mechanical, so we should look back and see who has
> > designed and created this particular combination.  In this case, it
> > was Debian, who took the top level Eclipse component and selected
> > a particular JVM and particular support libraries to include.
> That's the 'running is illegal/GPL puts restrictions on use' fallacy. :)
> You can't violate the GPL of a program by running it. The GPL only talks
> about 'copying, distribution and modification', and explicitely says
> 'The act of running the Program is not restricted'.
> Whether the GPLd program loads non-GPLd works in memory is irrelevant.
> What's relevant is whether works are actually copies, modifictions or
> derived works. Or all my e-mail would have to be GPLd, as it's loaded
> into the memory of a GPLd program :)

Your email messages do not contain calls to GPLed functions, do they?

It's quite a stretch to compare "dead data", like text, with something
as dynamic, as bytecode, which not only can be created, modified,
translated or interpreted by a JVM, but it can also explicitely make
use of JVM functionality (which happens to be GPLed in case of GPLed

The analogy you gave sounds broken.

			Grzegorz B. Prokopski

Grzegorz B. Prokopski           <gadek@sablevm.org>
SableVM - Free, LGPL'ed Java VM  http://sablevm.org