Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running on Kaffe

Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek <at> debian.org> writes:

> See http://sablevm.org/wiki/License_FAQ for details.

Gadek, last time you've taken your claims to debian-legal, noone on debian-legal
agreed with your interpretation of the GPL. Sorry. Maybe your interpretation is
not all you make it up to be. ;)

I find it tiresome to rehash the same disagreement about interpeting the GPL
over and over again each time there is a new SableVM release to promote.

I personally think that SableVM is a vey nice VM. And I wish you more success
than you can handle. Seriously. May you all be rich and famous and icons of
scientific research and may all your dreams come true.

So that we can that fine day finally stop having to go though this ritual 'Our
GPL interpretation is longer than yours, although we are not a lawyers, either'
discussion each time there is another point release of SableVM. It's so cheap
and boring and repetitive and repetitive and repetitive ... you get the idea.

> Did you try to build other architectures?  If the build process involves
> using a JVM then it would be best to use a JVM that works on as many
> architectures supported by Debian as possible.  Last time I asked
> Dalibor it still had serious troubles on many non-x86 architectures.

By all means, please make it run on all VMs packaged in debian. Given that we
all use Classpath now, more or less, it should all work, more or less. JamVM is
another very fine choice, and so are gij and IKVM as well. I hope I haven't left
anyone out, because I think all GNU Classpath-based runtimes are great. The
more, the merrier.

The more VMs the package runs on, the better for the users. If a VM sucks on
their architecture, then they can use another one. Choice is wonderful, as most
software sucks, anyway.

Looking though the debian bug reports, Kaffe has a problem with nice on amd64,
which I hope to have solved this week in Kaffe's CVS. The FTBFS on arm is
entirely jikes fault, unfortunately. I think that's about it regarding
architecture-specific bugs in debian.

On the other hand, I have no access to most debian architectures, so I have no
idea how well the packages work there, unless people report bugs. I wouldn't
deduce from the absence of bug reports that it works great, I'd rather guess
that not enough people are using it to stumble over the blunders ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic