Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

[Note: I don't know enough about Eclipse and Kaffe to make any comments
on that specific issue.  Instead, I'm responding to some of the things
Michael has written.]

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:41:08PM -0800, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> You know, just because the FSF has claimed for many years that linking
> forms a derivative work doesn't make it true.

Of course not.

It's laws and precedents -- particularly those grouped under the principle
which is termed "contributory infringement" which makes it true.

Fundamentally: the law isn't concerned with the precise details used to
create and distribute a copy.  It's more concerned with the existence
of those copies and with assigning responsibility for their existence.

> Put aside the FSF's entrenched position for a moment.  Consider a
> magazine article which contains newly coined words that are defined in
> a sidebar written by a separate author.

I believe the relevant aspects of this issue are adequately addressed
in the GPL under the heading "mere aggregation".

> Needless to say, most people in the free software world take the FSF's
> claims at face value -- hey, their General Counsel is a law professor
> at Columbia!

Ad hominem, and irrelevant.

--
Raul