Re: Packaging a Java-App

[you don't need to Cc me, I'm subscribed ;-)]

Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com> writes:

> Hi again,
>
>> > Could someone point me to a quick-start-guide on how to create .debs in
>> > general and Java-.debs in particular?
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/devel/
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/
>> http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/developers.html
>>
>> you have a lot of examples in the pkg-java Alioth's CVS
>
> Well, I am a real beginner in packaging applications. I have looked at
> the policies mentioned and some examples from the CVS repository. It is
> not _that_ complicated, but in the CVS only the Debian-specific control
> files are stored and I don't see, where the source and/or binary files
> of the application come into play.
> Is there an easy-to-understand step by step instruction for making a
> .deb for a really simple app, like mine? Something like 'Hello World'
> for Debian?

Hi Roman,

Here is some explanations on how to build a simple java application for
Debian.

So, let's imagine a simple HelloWorld application to be packaged for
Debian.

We'll have a tree like this:

- helloworld-1.0
                /build.xml
                /src/org/debian/java/example/HelloWorld.java

Let's make a tarball from this tree and let's call it
helloworld_1.0.orig.tar.gz

So, we have the software, now we'll make the debian package.
You can untar the orig tarball (or keep the original tree) and then add
all the debian sub directory. Our tree is now something like:
- helloworld-1.0
                /build.xml
                /debian/...
                /src/org/debian/java/example/HelloWorld.java
- helloworld_1.0.orig.tar.gz

You have to carefully read all the documentation you mention at the
beginning of this mail.

Now, we'll build the package with `debuild':
$ cd helloworld-1.0
$ debuild

I do use this .devsripts file:
DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS="-rfakeroot -uc -us -iCVS -k'Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org>'"
DEBSIGN_MAINT="Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org>"

See debuild man page for the different arguments.

Now another example from Alioth:

$ apt-get source libcommons-lang-java
$ cd libcommons-lang-java-2.0/
$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/pkg-java login
(press enter)
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/pkg-java co -d debian libcommons-lang-java/debian
$ debuild

I hope this will help. Maybe you can also find some informations on the
debian-java wiki: http://java.debian.net/

  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud
 `. `'