Re: [Fwd: Re: [architecture] Re: JPackages and ObjectWeb]

Le mar, 03/02/2004 à 17:34 -0500, David Walluck a écrit :
> Jan Schulz wrote:
>
> > Hm, seems that the only real difference is, that in your case the JVM
> >
> >will pickup some jars because they ar ein a special dir and in my
> >case, it wll be picked up because -bootclasspath is used. One other
> >

> So far, this is the only options we use:
>
> $JAVACMD $FLAGS -classpath $CLASSPATH $OPTIONS $MAIN_CLASS "$@"
>
> I must admit to not understanding much about the connection between
> -bootclasspath, -classpath, and -extdirs even after reading the Sun
> documentation, but if it makes sense, then all three could be used.
>
> There's no reason why extenstion jars shouldn't be in a separate directory.
>
> But of course, free jvm's may support none of these options, so where's
> the other layer that would handle converting between the two? Is `java',
> `javac' and/or 'javadoc' supposed to be wraper scripts themselves?
>
> >difference is, that I propose to add had dependecies (package manager
> >level) and your scritp does it automagically, when jars are installed,
> >right?
> >

> I don't understand what you mean here.
>
> Currently, our system has several major flaws.
>
> 1.) The first is not picking up dependencicies for a given jar file
> (i.e., what could usually be found in a jar's Class-Path in the
> manifest). You propose flat files for each jar. I think symlinks offer
> more over and are easier to update than sed and grep on a file, but
> whatever, the important thing is that we both want this solved.
>
> 2.) The second is not providing enough virtual provides. Take
> jdbc-stdext-ext again as an example. This is only needed by pre 1.4
> jvm's, but the 1.4 jvm's don't have a virtual provides for this package.

We do have a jdbc-stdtext virtual and tomcat uses it.
If you ask for jdbc-stdtext-ext, you're explicitely requesting the out-
of-jvm implementation (same with jsse/jsse-ext and all the -ext
packages).

We could use more virtuals, though but at some points symlinks are just
too messy and we'll have to convert to flat-files. The symlinks were my
idea and they work for a limited alternative number. They do not permit
things like recursive deps however, and at some point the when you have
to traverse five links just to get a jar no human can grok them anymore.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot