Re: Let Jikes (finally) go into testing on its own...

Stefan Gybas wrote:

Daniel Bonniot wrote:

One solution to this (which I found at http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-mentors@lists.debian.org/msg10605.html) would be to temporily make new (empty) versions of the jikes-* packages with priority extra, and that only depend on the new jikes-with-* packages.

This would require a new source package that builds these dummy package.

You're right: they couldn't be in jikes because that would prevent the migration, and they couldn't be in the VM/runtime packages (except for gij) since they need a higher version number.

Jikes-sun already is in a separate source package, with version 0.5. So we are speaking about classpath, kaffe and sablevm here.

If you have to introduce a new source package why don't you simply put the real wrappers into it?

Because those new packages are just temporary to force the upgrade, the goal being to get rid of them. The real packages cannot be in the same souce package as the dummy ones, since that would force them to have the same version.

So it seems there are 3 options:
* include the wrappers in the main binary package of the VM, using an epoch to force upgrade and adding Depends on jikes * include the wrappers in the main source package of the VM, using an epoch to force upgrade * include the wrappers in the main source package of the VM, and add a new source package with a dummy wrapper that depends on the new one. Remove this dummy package after sarge is released

Is it important to try to agree on a scheme, or should we just let each JVM packager decide which one to apply?

(For gij, the epoch is not necessary, so the second solution is probably the best)

Daniel