Re: Let Jikes (finally) go into testing on its own...

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:44:34AM -0500, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> [*] This is completly irrelevant that jikes is currently held by
> Kaffe. Tomorrow it may be held by SableVM, and in a week by Classpath
> or GIJ.

Jikes only needs *any* version to be in testing. A given package has
to be removed from testing for the current problems to occur.
Hopefully, kaffe will get into testing by the middle of Feb.

> PS: There's also an against-Policy bug in jikes.
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-main
> Debian Policy 2.2.1 The main section says:
>
> "...package must not declare a "Depends", "Recommends", or
> "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main package"
> while jikes has:
>
> Recommends: jikes-gij | jikes-kaffe | jikes-sun | jikes-classpath |
>    jikes-sablevm
>
> where jikes-sun is in the contrib section. This should probably be
> changed to Suggests: jikes-sun or removed altogether.
>
> This is at least a serious bug (or maybe rather a grave/RC, as there's
> "must not" in the Policy) so we need an upload anyway.

I have to disagree with you there, The policy states:

  * must not require a package outside of main for compilation
    or execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
    "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
    package)

BUT, jikes Recommends on a "package" that is made up of both, main and
contrib packages. That is, the "package" is a union between
packages in main and one in contrib.

I read the policy as "a package must satisfy its compilation and
execution requirements using packages in main". Jikes recommends
are satisfied in main.

People should have a choice of installing something from main or
something non-free (like SUN's java). We should not be punishing them
for using something non-free.

If I move jikes-sun to suggests, people only using SUN's java
would be required to also install jikes-gij or jikes-kaffe or etc...
if they are using dselect. Maybe it is just me, but I think this
would discriminate against non-free software.

I really would not want to move ALL of these to suggests. I guess I
will have to do that if I'm wrong here.

- Adam