Re: Let Jikes (finally) go into testing on its own...

Hi,

Thus I'll upload a new version of jikes in a few hours without any
wrappers.
Great. Looking forward to a new jikes in testing.

Everyone should make their packages either epoch 2
(ie. version 2:x.x.x) or make sure they are later or equal to
1:1.19 or so. Anything else would mess up the upgrade path.
Epochs are a pain, if only because the look ugly and because they can never be gotten rid of. Is this the only solution?

Would it work if, say, classpath built a new package 'jikes-with-classpath' (whatever the name, but a new one), which 'Replaces: jikes-classpath' and 'Conflicts: jikes-classpath' ? Classpath could then keep its version number, and upgrades should still happen automatically.

I'm not sure what would happen to 'Depends: jikes-FOO (>= X.Y.Z)', but it seems there are none anyway (grep-available -F Depends jikes-). There might be some build-depends, but those could be more easily fixable.

Would this scheme work?

Daniel