Re: Let Jikes (finally) go into testing on its own...

W liście z pon, 19-01-2004, godz. 02:10, Adam Majer pisze:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:49:44PM -0500, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> > W li?cie z nie, 18-01-2004, godz. 19:41, Adam Majer pisze:
> > > PS. Furthermore, since these wrappers are NOT and should not be dependent
> > > on version of the JVM (or kaffe), they should be maintained such that
> > > they work with ALL the versions of the JVM. This should be simple enough :)
> >
> > Speaking of maintenace. Currently jikes is at version 1.18-6. This means
> > that currently these wrappers are also at version 1.18-6. Once they're
> > moved to respective JVMs - they'll have the same versions as each JVM.
> >
> > gij       - 4:3.3.2-2   - wrapper is in testing, but will be upgraded
> > kaffe     - 1:1.1.3-0.2 - wrapper is in testing, but will be upgraded
> > classpath - 0.06-2      - no wrapper in testing, unstable won't be upg.
> > sablevm   - 1.0.9+svnXX - no wrapper in testing, unstable won't be upg.
>
> jikes is at  1:1.18-6
> stable is at 1:1.15-2
>
> Currently there are no wrappers in testing. Only stable has gij and kaffe.
> There is no jikes in testing, only in stable.
Ah, right, sorry, I mixed testing and stable apparently. But this doesn't
change much, I think.

> So it would be best to move kaffe, classpath and sablevm to 2:... versions.
> I'm assuming here that the X: part is not part of upstream (generally, it is not)
For kaffe - yes, probably it'd need 2:, as for the others - I belive
that users of unstable won't be hurt too much if we don't. Unstable is
unstable after all :) But it's up to the respective maintainers.

> I guess if we can't work something out, we'll just have to fix kaffe :)
I'll be flamed for that, but let it be.

Why not rather simply help improve (!=fix) SableVM to make it run all
these little (and bigger) apps we'd love to see running on a free JVM?
Just to give you some reasons: http://devel.sablevm.org/wiki/WhySableVM

Ehrm... cheers!

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski
--